Thursday, August 05, 2004

MOM’S OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN


I got this recipe from my mother. We haven’t eaten it together in many years, and although I remember helping her make it when I was a kid, this was my first time doing it myself. It was terrifically easy, and while it may not be the healthiest way to make chicken, it’s not the unhealthiest either. And, hey, it tastes good; A gives it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. We had it with a green salad. But I don’t recommend trying to eat this meal while talking on the telephone, which is how I did it last night. I think the phone needs cleaning now.

¼ cup butter
1 2-to-3-pound chicken, cut up (mine came pre-dismembered, in a package, and weighed in at more like 4 pounds, probably because the breasts were the most freakishly gigantic things I’ve ever seen)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the butter in a 9x13 baking dish and put that in the oven until the butter is melted.

2. Mix together the flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a Ziplock bag, put the chicken parts in the bag one by one, and shake the bag until each piece of chicken is fully coated.

3. Put chicken in the pan, skin side down, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and bake it until it looks done, about another 30 minutes.

Serves: 4
Time: A little over an hour

No comments: