Monday, October 04, 2004

IMPROVISED PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND LEFTOVER MASCARPONE

I would like to imagine that you’ve all been on tenterhooks, awaiting my solution for using up leftover mascarpone. I’m not much of an improviser, but I easily whipped this up on Saturday night and it was pretty tasty. I certainly wouldn’t recommend buying mascarpone specifically to make this recipe, but it was a satisfactory way to take advantage of things I already had, and I’ll do it again next time I’m stuck with a Mascarpone Surplus (not that it’ll be anytime soon, considering I only have two mascarpone-using recipes total, both of which I’ve just made).

Sorry the quantities are kind of vague. I was making it up as I went along.

About 8 ounces pasta (I used egg noodles)
However much leftover mascarpone you have (I used about 4 ounces, and wouldn’t recommend using more without upping all the other quantities as well, but you could easily use less, maybe thinning the sauce out with some milk)
2 cloves garlic
2 large, ripe tomatoes
fresh basil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese to taste

1. I heated water to a boil in a large pot, and when it boiled I added the noodles.

2. While they were cooking, I put the mascarpone and garlic in a skillet over medium-low heat until the mascarpone melted into a liquid and was heated through, and the garlic seemed as though it had cooked somewhat (i.e., had softened and become fragrant).

3. I chopped the tomatoes and added them to the mascarpone, along with about ¼ teaspoon salt. Cooked them until they broke down a little, but still basically maintained their shape. Turned off the heat, chopped some basil and threw it in there, and seasoned generously with salt and pepper to cut the sweetness of the mascarpone.

4. When the noodles were cooked, I drained them and added them to the skillet. Tossed them with the sauce, which seemed to be about the right amount to cover them without being too cheesy or too runny (if you need more moisture, though, I’m sure milk would work). Dished out the pasta into serving/storage containers, sprinkled with a little Parmesan, and felt pleased with myself. Had some green salad on the side.

Serves: 2-3
Time: 20 minutes

No comments: