Friday, May 08, 2009

PESTO TOMATO PIZZA


Now that you can make your own pesto (you’ve all been doing your homework from last time, right?), here’s something easy to do with it. I guess I made this one up, in that I didn’t follow a published recipe, but pizza crust + pesto + tomatoes + cheese is hardly rocket science. Throw anything else on there you like. Go ahead, see if I care.

I mainly make this in the summer when I don’t feel like sweating over the stove, or when I have leftover canned tomatoes to use up (Trader Joe’s only sells diced ones in 28-ounce cans, so this is fairly often).

Dough for one pizza (about 1 pound)
1 batch pesto (about ¾ cup)
2 sliced fresh tomatoes, or about 14 ounces diced canned tomatoes (drained)
Shredded mozzarella cheese to taste

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Roll out dough to fit on a baking sheet (or pizza stone, or whatever). Spread pesto evenly over dough, lay tomatoes on top, and sprinkle with cheese.

3. Bake until crust is browned.

Serves: 4
Time: 30 minutes
Leftover potential: Medium.

No comments: